Payments can be made by cash, check, credit card, or online. Please make all checks out to "Brad Curran," as my bank would prefer. Credit card payments are accepted at the lesson, and online (or made via Paypal to email@example.com.) Payments can also be sent by mail. A $20 dollar fee will be charged for NSF checks. After the second NSF check, only cash payments will be accepted.
2) Cancellation Policy: If you have to cancel, please call my cell phone or email firstname.lastname@example.org 24 hours prior to the lesson. This allows me to use any open times for make-up lessons. If you have prepaid for the lesson, you will receive a credit towards the following month.
If you do not call to cancel (barring emergencies) a makeup will not be offered, and a lesson fee will still be assessed. Emergencies are handled on a case by case basis.
3) Makeup Lessons: Makeup lessons will be scheduled at a time that is convenient for both the instructor and the student. Makeups will be scheduled at a time different than the actual lesson time. If you abuse the makeup policy, you may be dismissed from lessons. Abuses of the makeup policy include: excessively and repeatedly canceling lessons, missing scheduled makeup lessons, and repeatedly missing scheduled lessons with no phone calls or email notification.âï¿½¨âï¿½¨
Why is this such a big deal?
Every skipped lesson takes a half hour out of my schedule since I am already at the studio, and then the makeup takes up another half hour. Added together, every skipped lesson equals an hour of my time for which I only charge 1/2 hr. The practice of repeatedly skipping lessons is abusive to my time, ties up time that I could be using with new students, and quickly becomes costly to the teaching studio. The makeup/cancellation policy is to be used for sudden sicknesses, accidents, vacations, and working overtime at work...things that come up occasionally that cannot be avoided.
I make a point to try to be flexible to accommodate changes in people's schedules; it is necessary when dealing with multiple schedules and (sometimes) multiple children. So if you have a problem, please call and cancel. And then schedule a makeup lesson ASAP so that you do not fall behind in your progress. I am very happy to do makeups. Just remember: the makeup policy was designed to give you flexibility, not to serve as a weekly "get out of jail free" card.
4) Instructor Cancellations: Missed lessons due to instructor absence, instructor illness, instructor emergencies, or studio closure due to weather are not charged to the student's account. If your lesson was prepaid , you will receive a credit towards the following month.
Sometimes I have to cancel lessons due to professional engagements; concerts, traveling to conferences, workshops and the like. I do my best to offer alternate lesson times to the students to maintain continuity of instruction. If the student is unable to attend the alternate lesson time, then I will credit the student's account for the missed lesson (if the lesson was prepaid).
5) Holidays: If a holiday is coming, and you are not certain if Curran Music Studios will be open, please do not assume the studio will be closed. Please contact me directly via phone or email, or check the studio calendar. I follow the schedule of the local music stores. If the local stores are open and their lesson programs are running, then my studio is open as well.
It is not acceptable to simply not show up without contacting me, and it will result in being charged for a lesson with no opportunity for a makeup.
6) Lateness: Students arriving late for their lessons will NOT be given extra lesson time to make up for being late.
7) Practice Time: Students and parents: work to set up a daily, uninterrupted practice time to establish a routine. Students are encouraged to keep a practice record, and to work toward musical goals rather than simply counting minutes. The study of music is rewarding and enjoyable, but it is also work! To insure that you get your money’s worth out of the lessons, I need parents’ help to motivate and support students, and to make music study a productive experience.
8) CODA: Sometimes, I might feel the need to spend extra time with a student. This can and will happen when time allows me to give a little extra. There will be no extra charge for this. However, if you are running on a tight schedule, please let me know when students MUST leave a lesson on time.
If you have any questions or concerns, I will be happy to discuss them with you.